Thursday, September 16, 2010

Time, Time, Time

It's Thursday morning. But by Tuesday afternoon, I was ready to leave. I had only been here two days (and not even two whole days). This feeling, this "travelbug" if you'd like to call it that... it's eating at me.

I really need time. More than anything in the world, I am in desperate need of time. Time to take for myself and just explore. Explore not only the roads and everything that is connected by them, but also to figure myself out. This routine allows no room to breathe. I love school and my classes and the place itself, but I am just suffocating. I don't really even know why. I just need to leave for a while. I really need to get up and go somewhere, anywhere.

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
--Pink Floyd

Killing time. Have you ever really considered the concept? We use the phrase often - "Oh, just killing time." But can time actually be killed? Assasinated, murdered? Tossed 6 feet deep and covered with soil?

Possibly. What is time? A human construct. There is a future because we say so, a past because it happened and we remember it. There is no way to live in the present because the present is inconsistent, dynamic, unceasing. And yet all we can do is live in the present because the future is nonexistent and the past is already gone with the wind. So can this concept that really exists only in the mind be extinguished? What would you have? Can humans live in infinity, knowing that it will end?

No comments:

Post a Comment