Wednesday, August 25, 2010

College Campus Travels

So the Plaid backback has returned once more to its proper job - carrying books. Many, many books. Monday, I carried around 12 books in the backpack and two in my arms. My shoulders are bruised. Classes are only three days in, and I'm already exhausted and lacking sleep. I just have to readjust to the routine of only being allotted a maximum of 4 hours a night for sleep. I usually sleep about that much anyways, but during the summer there is at least the opportunity for more sleep. Not here, my friends.

Perhaps I've just developed a more cynical view of college after being so burned out last semester. I just don't see much originality here. I see thousands of people a day and can't tell a single one apart from the other. Maybe the color of your shirt is slightly different, but, ladies, your oversized tank top or tee shirt looks exactly the same as everyone else - don't fool yourself thinking you're something special. Just because your Nike shorts have a different color or pattern doesn't make you different. I guarantee you that Nike mass-produced those and tons of other girls own the exact same pair. Possibly even a few other people on this campus. You blend.

I myself am guilty of this, of course. I certainly am no hypocrite. The two days a week that I don't work - and therefore need not dress nicely - I am in an oversized (or most likely properly sized) tee shirt and some form of comfortable shorts/pants and shoes. Blending in with everyone else and knowing it.

It amuses and annoys me simultaneously that so many people are here doing absolutely nothing. Nothing with their lives except wasting someone else's money (because if it were their own, no doubt they'd be doing something productive with their lives.) Partypartyparty, it's the name of the game. Don't get me wrong here, I'm no prude. Partying/drinking/etc does not bother or offend me at all. It's a part of life. I just have a problem with people who make it the only thing they do or are interested in. I just want to meet more people who really are using this education and milking it for all it is worth and using every second to learn.

If you stop learning, you stop growing; and if you stop growing, you stop living. If you stop living, you might as well be dead. (I hope that's obvious.)

There is something bigger than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment